Who is an unsuitable candidate?
A small group of individuals may not be suitable for TPI due to medical conditions or medications that may increase their risk of complications.
Examples of patients who cannot be treated include:
- Patients on blood-thinning medications (such as Warfarin, Plavix, Xarelto or Pradaxa)
- Immunocompromised patients (e.g. cancer patients on chemotherapy)
- Pregnant patients
- Patients with a bleeding disorder (such as hemophilia)
- Patients with compromised skin/infection over an area that needs treatment
- Patients with severe needle-phobia
If you are unsure about whether you are a suitable candidate for TPI, please discuss this with your Family Doctor.